Crazy Old Cat Lady

I went to the URL for CatLady to see who got my preferred URL name and it's just one useless entry and then I checked out my next preferred URL name of CrazyCatLady (son#1 calls me "Crazy Lady" and the rest of the world calls me "Cat Lady" so I thought a URL was born) and she's a great writer, but I can't find any way to add a comment telling her so. So my URL ended up being CrazyOldCatLady. My web page is http://cvanhorn.homestead.com/

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

One Way to Upload a Picture into Your User Profile

After moaning and groaning about how hard it was to upload a picture to a posting using the free "Hello" program (see my comment on one of the Feb postings), it turns out that that is the first step to getting a picture into your User Profile if you don't know any other way.
Step 2 is to edit the post that has the picture. Click "Blogger" in the top left corner of the page to go to the Dashboard. Click "Change Settings". Click the "Posting" tab. Click "Edit Posts". Find the name of the post that has the picture. Click the word "Edit" that is in front of that post. Then you click the "Edit HTML" tab and select the image source name they used. (It will look like http://photos1.blogger.com/img/ and a whole bunch of other numbers and the name you gave the picture and more numbers and then ending with .jpg -for example my picture's img src is http://photos1.blogger.com/img/67/3771/640/KabukiAndConnieOct2004%204X6.jpg )
Step 3 is to right-click that name and copy it.
Step 4 is to get to the form that asks you the URL name of the picture to put on your User Profile and paste that name in. (I used Ctrl V.)
Step 5 is to Save the settings. (You might need to Refresh your page to see the picture, but you will know immediately if it accepted that name because you get a big red error message at the top of the form if it didn't.)
Step 6, if it works, is to give thanks. (If it doesn't work, you probably have your own "Darn It" routine painfully established, but you will have to delete the URL to get rid of the Error message if you ever want to change anything else on that form and get it saved.)

(These directions may not be perfect, but they should give you the general idea. This is the answer that the Blogger support team sent me when I asked what the URL should be:
http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=776 )

I am leaving the post with the picture on the page even though I now have the picture on my User Profile as I have no idea what would happen if I deleted it. I sure don't want to go through all this again. (I guess additional postings will force the picture down the page or into the Archives or wherever. I figure this is the least of my problems.)

3 Comments:

  • At 12:33 PM, Blogger Connie said…

    I tried to explain step 1 (how to upload a picture to a post) in a comment I made to the "Time to Try This New Game in Town" posting in February.

    Because a blog's main purpose is to record text postings and interactive comments to those postings, I guess adding images was not a part of the process until the general public got involved and wanted a blog that could show pictures as a web site does- a web site being the more familiar item for most people. So this blog service affiliated with an image application to provide one way to upload pictures. If you know HTML and FTP, that way may be better. I'm trying to figure out a method a casual user could learn so I can help friends with less computer experience.

     
  • At 12:55 PM, Blogger Connie said…

    Important! I found an easier way to determine the URL name of an image than what the Help menu suggested. Once you get the image posted on your blog, just Right-click the image, click on "Properties" and it shows the URL name for you to copy and paste

     
  • At 12:59 PM, Blogger Connie said…

    I chickened out of deleting my friend's picture posted on my blog because it took her a week to get around to copying and pasting it on her User Profile form. (She's a busy real estate lady.) So I went to my husband's computer and was going to create a blog in his name so I could practice the User Profile URL picture thing, but then I just created a new blog for myself using one of my other e-mail addresses. I was able to post an image, find the URL name and paste it on my new User Profile page. I then deleted the original post with the image from my new blog, and the User Profile picture stayed so the uploaded image stays stored on the server even when the post is deleted.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home